As product options grew, reporting needs changed
Ditech Communications Corporation is a global telecommunications equipment supplier for communications networks. Ditech wanted a more robust tool to perform revenue and expense planning, with a high level of out-of-the-box reporting capabilities. Additionally, Ditech needed a solution to meet new reporting needs because of their growing product mixes.
Ditech was facing strategic issues that required a new planning and forecasting solution. They were using Hyperion Pillar as an operating expense planning tool and MS Excel templates to create their revenue plans. The data was then consolidated in Excel to create a complete P&L plan. This approach was maintenance intensive and required significant manual effort. Users were frustrated with the overall complexity of the budgeting cycle, a cumbersome input process, and the inability to look at budgets while others were working in the system.
Ditech is a mid-size company with very few resources to administer applications. They needed a solution that could be easily maintained with very little administration and was intuitive enough to be used by their high-level executives. Due to previous experience with Hyperion products, Ditech chose Hyperion Planning as their complete planning and forecasting solution. Ditech executives participated in the process to ensure the success of their implementation.
Working with a team from Archetype, Ditech achieved an improved planning process and enhanced reporting capabilities throughout their organization. Throughout the implementation, user participation was encouraged resulting in a high level of user acceptance and solution adoption across the organization. Users enjoy improved data consistency and the ability to respond to requests more effectively and quickly. Additional project successes include:
- Saw the operating expense plan up and running within a matter of weeks by leveraging their Pillar application, providing a faster return on their investment
- Elimination of manual loading of data by interfacing Hyperion Planning with their GL System (QAD) and their internal CRM system (Microsoft CRM)
- Increased security and workflow have allowed budgets to be developed by individual department managers while adequately protecting information from other business areas
- Elimination of data management tasks in Excel saved 5-10 hours during every monthly close and an additional 10 plus hours during every quarterly budget/forecast iteration
- Improved controls because Ditech now creates a locked set of data at quarter end which is accessible for reporting
- Dedicated less than one day per month for one FTE to application maintenance
- Data is now pre-populated into budgets using business rules, saving a lot of time during the budget cycle and allowing executives to focus on budgeting only a few key line items